Purveyor of sartorial enlightenment

dress your eyes...

Wednesday 16 June 2010

I like lady-like

Following my introductory blog rant on the fashion clueless women of Aintree, I have since immersed myself in numerous discussions about appropriate race day attire. I for one am a true sucker for lady-like paraphernalia: elegant head decoration, classic, feminine dress shapes and any ensemble that reflects a well-bred womanly decorum. This has remained an appealing element to the recreational event that is horse racing.

I know of two dear ladies, an elderly mother and her daughter, who have visited Royal Ascot on consecutive years since the mother was in her prime. I have listened to beautiful anecdotes of trends and tales from early-day Ascot - which never fail to ignite my penchant for nostalgia.

My enchantment for these stories was never the less thwarted when the mother made a recent saddening revelation. On her last visit to Ascot she admitted to being reluctant to enter the Grandstand. Greeted with this new wave of sartorially uneducated deportees - most too intoxicated to stand - she couldn't believe her eyes.

The refined crowds that this lady has, for years, been acquainted with and has always delighted in witnessing have been depleted and exchanged for brash, crass intoxicated louts.
How awful that these 'women' have tarnished the rich heritage and history that these races have always been famous for. I feel sad for dear mother and daughter.

Thankfully, if you look hard enough there does still remain a glimmer of hope.
My pick of the day is the beautiful Danielle Lineker who proves that she is no style amateur. Transcending a riot of fashion blunders seen at previous race days, Danielle
is all-woman in an elegant Victoria Beckham shift and matching Rachel Trevor-Morgan hat.




Images @ Mailonline

No comments: